The system which activates us is called the "Sympathetic Nervous System". This system stimulates what is called the "Fight or Flight Pattern". The system which calms and relaxes us is called the "Parasympathetic Nervous System. We don't want to avoid all activities or events that cause us to be excited. Life might not be enjoyable if we didn't ride on a roller coaster or be involved in some type of adventurous activity. If we are experiencing stress and anxiety which is having a negative impact on our body we might want to take a closer look at what is happening with both of these systems.
The following are some stress management activities which might stimulate the Parasympathetic System.
- Meditation Practice and Prayer
- Reducing unrealistic expectations
- Improving our ability to manage time.
- Improving our diet
- Aerobic activity designed for our individual needs
- Reduced conflict and improved family communications
- Creating time to rest
- Gentle deep breathing
- Warm baths
- Gentle Stretching and Yoga
- Mini Vacations
- Positive Visualization